CONTACT: +91-9711224068
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry
Vol. 4, Issue 5, Part A (2019)

Local feeds in aquaculture and their feeding efficiency: Review from Nepal

Author(s): S Bhandari, K Kaphle and RK Lamsal
Abstract: Aquaculture, being a new practice in Nepal, has taken a prior position recently. Most cultured fish species include rohu, naini, bhakur, common carp, grass carp, silver carp and bighead carp. Apart from this, rainbow trout along with tilapia, Puntius, and Pangasius are also reared in small number. The type and amount of feed apportioned, largely depends on fish species. Generally, rice bran, mustard oil cake, crop grain, kitchen leftover and maize powder are the main components used in homemade feed. Rice bran with mustard oil cake mixed in equal proportion is generally used as feed in Nepal. Around 60% of the fishes are fed with rice bran and mustard oil cake mixture. The remaining 40% are left to feed on natural productivity of the pond in context of Nepal. Various grasses like Napier, Berseem, Banana leaves etc. are fed to herbivorous fishes especially grass carp.
Pages: 06-09  |  275 Views  25 Downloads
How to cite this article:
S Bhandari, K Kaphle, RK Lamsal. Local feeds in aquaculture and their feeding efficiency: Review from Nepal. Int J Vet Sci Anim Husbandry 2019;4(5):06-09.
Call for book chapter
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals
International Journal of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry