CONTACT: +91-9711224068
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry
Vol. 1, Issue 6, Part A (2016)

Evaluation of the reproductive performance of local dairy cattle breeds in Ethiopia

Author(s): Tiruneh Mossie and Taddie Wondmnew
Abstract: Ethiopia is the home of large numbers of livestock due to having varied and extensive agro-ecological zones. From the total annual milk produced cattle milk, is the most prominent compared to other livestock species in Ethiopia. There are about six distinguishable, indigenous cattle types in Ethiopia mainly Arsi, Barca, Boran, Fogera, Horro and Ogaden There are about four dairy production systems in Ethiopia. These are; Pastoralist dairy Farming, Urban and Peri-Urban dairy farming, High land and Small holder or mixed dairy farming and intensive dairy farming system. Calving interval, Age at firs service, Number of Service per conception and age at first calving are the major measures of productive and reproductive performance parameters for dairy cattle production. Different reports indicated that productive and reproductive performances of cattle are very poor due to varied factors. The causes for low performances of dairy cattle were technical and non-technical constraints. The technical constraints include; genetic problem, feeding, disease and health care problems The non-technical constraints are; human population and livestock population. In Ethiopia most of (97.5%) cattle breeds are local breeds the remaining (2.5%) are hybrid and exotic breeds. Then, the genetic performances of these breeds are poor, even though they have good adaptation in harsh environmental conditions. According to this review locals have poor performances as compared to cross bred cows based on the reproductive performance indicators. There are also differences in production performances among and within local breeds according to the management practices. That means; for age at first Service Ethiopian Boran, for Age at first calving Arsi and Barka, for Number of Service per Conception Barka, for Calving Interval Arsi and Ethiopian boran, for Days open Fogera breed were better. So, research and studies, training and awareness creation should be given particularly to the farmers on major management practices like feeding, housing and health care and genetic improvement strategies should planned and practiced simultaneously.
Pages: 12-17  |  2 Views  1 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Tiruneh Mossie, Taddie Wondmnew. Evaluation of the reproductive performance of local dairy cattle breeds in Ethiopia. Int J Vet Sci Anim Husbandry 2016;1(6):12-17.
Call for book chapter
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals
International Journal of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry