CONTACT: +91-9711224068
  • Printed Journal
  • Indexed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry
Vol. 1, Issue 2, Part A (2016)

Analysis of rumen fluid in apparently healthy slaughtered cattle at Gondar Elfora abattoir

Author(s): Yilkal Manaye, Murali Manohar B, Ramaswamy Velappa and Mulat Asrat
Abstract: A cross sectional study was conducted from November 2013 to May 2014 in Gondar University, Amhara region, Northwest of Ethiopia to determine the physical, chemical and microbial characteristics of rumen fluid and to develop a base line data on healthy parameters of rumen fluid for therapeutic transfusion in clinical ruminal disorders from apparently healthy indigenous cattle of Ethiopia. Analysis was performed by physical, chemical and microscopical methods. Of the 384 rumen fluid samples of indigenous cattle examined color was found 54.7% yellowish brown, 25% brownish green, 11.2% greenish and 9.1% milky; consistency 88.8% Viscous, 4.7% watery and 6.5% frothy; odour 89.6% aromatic and 10.4% sour; sedimentation 95.6% were completed within 4-8 minute and 4.4% no appreciable sedimentation or floatation; pH 49% ranges from 5.5-6.5, 34.6% from 5.6 to7 and 6% greater than 7; complete cellulose digestion were observed 89.6% within 48-56hrs, 10.4% more than 56 hrs; methylene blue reduction achieved 65.4% within 3 minute, 30.2% within 6 minute and 4.4% more than 6 minute; glucose fermentation test revealed that 89.6% had gas formation and 10.4% with no gas formation; protozoan motility observed 13.8% as excellent motility, 75.4% with medium motility, 7.8% having sluggish motility and 6.0% with no motility; proportion of bacteria 92% with dominant gram negative bacteria and the remaining 8% of samples collected had dominant positive bacteria. This is the basic base line data for rumen content transfusion and for future study.
Pages: 37-42  |  771 Views  17 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Yilkal Manaye, Murali Manohar B, Ramaswamy Velappa, Mulat Asrat. Analysis of rumen fluid in apparently healthy slaughtered cattle at Gondar Elfora abattoir. Int J Vet Sci Anim Husbandry 2016;1(2):37-42.
Call for book chapter
Journals List Click Here Research Journals Research Journals
International Journal of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry